Wednesday, November 01, 2006

My Own Special Gift

Thanks Cole for encouraging me to share my own special gift - the ability to hurt someone so deeply that they spend 20 years plotting the perfect revenge. I didn't know I could evoke such a drastic reaction in anyone, much less someone I knew before I even had breasts.

In one of my earlier blog entries, I said that I would write about the crazy men in my life. I'd been holding out because I like men. My dad's a man. Both my brothers are men. Some of my best friends are men. I didn't want to offend anyone by implying that most men are crazy or can drive a perfectly sane woman crazy.

However, a series of recent events in my life have forced me to bring this up. Today I had an epiphany. The appointed time is now.

When I was standing in line at The Beautiful Restaurant (all of you Atlantans should know the place) during lunchtime today, there was this couple in front of me. She could have been in her late thirties, early forties. He was probably in his mid-forties. She was about 5'4" tall while he stood about 6'3". Both were very attractive. I watched as she wrapped one of her arms around his waist and he wrapped one of his around hers.

Bear with me. There is a crazy man in this story, but I want to share what sparked this rant that won't end soon.

Back to the couple... they looked so cute with their matching BlueTooth earpieces. I could tell they were into each other. Or at least she was into him. From the way she acted, they could have easily been making love only a short while before coming to the Beautiful for lunch. She couldn't keep her hands off him. She wanted him even then. She trusted him. And every time she looked at him, all her hopes and dreams were apparent in her eyes. I have to admit. They had me going.

My best friend since I was six years old gave me some wisdom that I have to pass along. When I went on and on about this guy who seemed to have it all together, she said "You know that all sounds great, but he's got one thing working against him." "What's that?" I asked. "He's a man."

Back to my couple.... In the short period of time I observed this loving couple, I had started to believe in true love again. I started believing that at the end of the day, a man and a woman could still simply love each other and make each other happy without needing anyone else. Then, the male part of this couple did something that I wasn't expecting. He turned to look at me. Just a quick glance. I smiled. As he ordered his food, he joked that he needed an additional side order of the entree because he might still be growing. I said it couldn't hurt to try. We laughed it off, but I noticed that his lady friend was slightly uncomfortable with his light banter with me. Afterwards, he gave me a couple more side glances which I tried to ignore, but I recognized as curiosity. My best friend's words instantly came to mind and once again I realized that I might have been wrong in my assessment of this seemingly loving relationship. With all the love, attention and affection he had standing right in front of him, he turned to examine his options behind him. Now this doesn't make him crazy, but it could certainly do some damage to her.

I'll break here.. obviously this story isn't finished. In my next installment, I'll offer more insight into my special gift. The perfect revenge after twenty years... damn, he's good. If I sound bitter, I'm not. Just hurt, disappointed and a tad bit cynical.
This entry was posted in .

0 comments: