Monday, November 13, 2006

Such a Beautiful Disaster

Most of my close friends are guys because friendships are easier. They're not as needy as we women can sometimes be, but they can be just as messy (sticky, tricky, and lots of technical difficulties). Still, I have chosen my poison.

Yesterday, he (who shall remain nameless) and I had yet another misunderstanding. Nothing new there. We've become rather proficient at occasionally getting under one another's skin and on each other's nerves. He thinks I'm wrong. I think he's dead wrong. We both get pissed off.

Usually goes something like this.

"You're over-reacting."
"I'm sorry."
"No you're not."
"How can you say that I'm not?"
"You don't mean it."
"What?!"
"You're a trip."
"Why?"
"Because you have an attitude."
"No I don't."
"Yes you do."
"I didn't before, but now I do."
"Let's start over."
"Ok."

Some more banter from each of us trying to make our points yet again.

"We can't start over."
"Fine."

Silence for about five minutes.

"Are you mad?"
"No."

This is the point where we normally resume normal conversation and move on. But yesterday, he surprised me.

"You remind me of that song..."

Let me stop right here. Guys, if you want to get a girl's attention, tell her that she reminds you of a song.

He further clarified his statement by offering the specific lyrics he was referring to in this particular song. After listening to the song, I wanted to cry. He and I are truly platonic friends, but it was one of the sweetest things a guy (this guy in particular) has ever said to me.

This week, I'm sure we'll find something else to debate, have another misunderstanding, or just piss each other off for no real reason. But yesterday, let me tell you, I almost thought for one teeny tiny itsy bitsy split second of a moment that...

He reads this blog sometimes. Let's hope he overlooks this entry.
This entry was posted in .

0 comments: