Sunday, November 12, 2006

My Own Special Gift - Part II

Vous m'avez convaincu qu'il était sûr de vous aimer et maintenant je ne sache pas s'arrêter.

Boy Meets Girl
When I was twelve, my best friend Lisa was the same person she is today. The most confident kid I knew. Everyone wanted to be her friend and all the boys thought she was cute. I, on the other hand, sorely lacked the confidence she had. And the boys. Let's just say they were too pre-occupied to notice :-). However, there was this one boy, Ian who wanted to be my friend. And then he wanted to be my boyfriend. He was cute and funny. Didn't take much for him to win me over. His warm heart enveloped me and made me feel not only pretty, but appreciated. At that age, having a boyfriend only meant that he called you on the phone, walked with you at lunchtime, wrote you love letters. Innocence. You can't buy it. It's priceless.

We shared a sweet, sometimes sour, on-again off-again juvenile relationship for two years before going to high school and eventually our separate ways. What happened? We were thirteen! Truth be told, we had another friend, a boy, whom I got really close to or should I say got really close to me. Ian was hurt. I knew that then and was sorry... then. As sorry as a kid that age would be for hurting her young love and dear friend.

I digress.

Today I downloaded Luther Vandross - Live at Radio City Music Hall 2003 which includes a 12 minute 49 second extended version of Superstar. The last time I heard this song I was riding with an old friend, one whom I may never see again. Hearing it today brought back memories of Egyptian musk, the sound of whispers, penetrating stares, strawberry cheesecake ice cream, a perfect view, rocking chair, easy chair, Chili's, chess, Jeopardy, Riley, a river that runs through the woods, past my home and makes my heart float.

Oh me oh my... don't wanna ... be no...fool for you baby.

I swear every time I hear that song from now on, I'll feel every thing my heart yearns for... Just so you know, I want a simple life too.

Mmph... long sigh...I'll have to pick up on this later.
This entry was posted in .

0 comments: